15 October 2011

Reflections From My Flight {Malaysia to Cambodia}


Most of you have probably been on a plane sometime in your life, be it across an ocean or only a quick hop closer to home. Likely your plane adventures at one time also included turbulence or your were forced to taxi for longer than desired. And maybe a few of you have even been on such a long flight that when the wheels hit the ground there was some mild cheering or clapping?

Last week my flight from Malaysia back to Cambodia was such a flight. Only this time the cheering & clapping wasn't because we survived the turbulence. It was the genuine excitement of 40+ women arriving back in their country after working two long years in a factory or as a domestic worker.

I can honestly say it was one of the best flights I have ever been on, and it was definitely not the service or in-flight meals which made it so great. So why then? Because I could actually feel the excitement, the joy, and the relief of workers who at some point had risked everything to earn money for their families. They missed their parents, their kids, they missed Khmer food, and also speaking Khmer. As the plane's wheels hit the runway, squeals, cheers, smiles, and excited clapping broke out spontaneously throughout the plane.

I too joined in with their clapping and cheering. For me, though, it wasn't about missing the country or food, per say (although I do love both), it was the JOY of seeing women & men returning home safely. 'They survived!' I thought to myself.

Survived what?
The stories my coworkers & I heard from women & girls during last week's visit in Kuala Lumpur, as well as the reports & research shared between partnering organizations over the last two years, have made me believe it's hard to survive. Beyond the problems of recruitment, debt bondage, and slave-like conditions migrant workers face in Cambodia, bound for Malaysia there is another set of problems awaiting them there. All power is completely in the hands of the company, and more specifically the employer himself. He or she dictates the working hours, holds the worker's passport, controls telephone privledges, locks the doors, pays the salary, and also renews the worker's work permit.

But what about her, the domestic worker? The one who like every other person in the world- holds basic human rights, including dignity, freedom, and access to food, water, and decent living? Nope, sorry, the system isn't worker-center. She is trained to listen & obey the employer, and try her best to please them at whatever the cost.


Example: I saw this list posted throughout the training center of one Cambodian recruitment company:
  • I must be a good maid.
  • I must work hard.
  • I must not be lazy.
  • I must make my employers happy.
  • I must follow instructions my employer gives.
  • I must finish my contract for two years.
  • I must help my family earn money.

For me this simple list of 'rules' says a lot about the heart of this 'recruitment-work-system':
  1. Clearly workers are NOT educated about their rights. Instead taught everyday for three months that anything the employer says they must do; therefore 'making the employer happy' is supposed to be more important than the workers' own well-being;
  2. And it's manipulating to have 'I must help my family earn money' on the list. It adds to the already-felt pressure in Cambodian society for older daughters to provide for the welfare of the whole family. Whispering this subtly in her ear every day, may also add a level of shame that later prevents her from asserting her own rights and reporting harsh conditions or physical/ sexual abuse.

My HOPE is for more women to return safely home to Cambodia with the salaries they were promised and no scars. And for women to be educated about their right to hold their own passport while working, their right to a day off of work, and their right to access social services if needed. If you agree please join me with cheers and clapping!

-----------

Want to know more about the recruitment process in Cambodia or the harsh conditions in Malaysia? Read an in-depth interview between Equitas and myself in June 2011 on their blog. Or do a Google search for even more recent news & updates.

On Twitter? Follow me (@aimee_chabdai) and use #Camlabor to spread awareness news & stories about this form of trafficking.

Planning on migrating? Do you know someone who is? Please migrate safely, here are some tips:
  • Copy your passport or write down your passport number and give it to your family.
  • Read your contract before signing, and ask to keep a copy.
  • Memorize Tenaganita's hotline number in Malaysia in case you need help: 012 335 0512
  • Ask lots of question! Know the name and phone number of the recruiter, and the company you are working with.