24 March 2014

Knowledge in Action

By Christina Chan


When the topic of human trafficking was discussed in my upper division Human Rights class at UCSB, I was completely engaged. Learning about the different issues we face, the human rights violations that occur, and the detriment that poverty has on the human experience, a deep desire to actively engage and understand the issue of human trafficking was triggered.



Then I heard that my church, Reality Carpinteria, was offering a course called, “Renew”, which focused on the topic of local and international human trafficking and poverty. I took it as an opportunity to gain knowledge about the issue, and to find ways to become involved in the cause.

These opportunities to learn about anti-trafficking caused me to move beyond simply absorbing knowledge, it spurred a passion in me to do something. Chab Dai has provided me with an outlet to share knowledge on a large scale, and it has also served as a valuable resource in gaining practical skills in countering trafficking.

During my time with Chab Dai, I’ve gained skills in presenting the topic of human trafficking. I’ve also learned how to share about the work of Chab Dai in the U.S., framing it as an organization working to promote a collective database of resources for anti-trafficking groups. I’ve also learned methods of researching materials and resources related to counter-trafficking, as well as developing a correct and neutral language when discussing issues of trafficking.


As I input information into FC and research events and resources, I am exposed to the enormity of the issue and the growing network of the counter-trafficking collective. At the end of my internship, I know that I will carry with me the valuable insight I’ve gained regarding trafficking, the discussions I’ve had with staff, interns, as well as individuals outside of Chab Dai, and the community of compassionate, talented individuals who want to eradicate this very real, local/international, lucrative, unjust crime of the exploitation, coercion, and sale of human beings.


WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight