09 March 2014

When Helping does not Hurt … (Paying it Forward)

By Kristina Novak

We have countless conversations in our office on what effective help looks like.  For me, it’s never an easy, clear-cut answer. I like to look at the long-term impact. Will this initiative be a sustainable grassroots-driven solution over time?  Is it based on a correct understanding of what the problem is?  Or is it just a quick fix – a plaster that covers the pain for a while, making one feel useful and helpful, but does not deal with the source of the problem. Does it have the purpose and infrastructure to empower individuals to live independently of the aid once it’s gone and become agents of change in their own communities?

Additionally, how do we measure the impact of aid correctly? Some indicators of change show up fast. To measure a long-term impact, we have to collect data over time and observe the shifts in the environment. Seeing a positive change on an individual and at the community level is not only rewarding, but to me, is truly motivating. This is part of the reason I really enjoy working with Chab Dai. I get to witness the impact both our Khmer and expat teams have in fighting exploitation and human trafficking. I see this impact in the lives of individuals that are empowered by education and in the increase of options that are made accessible to them. I also get to see the awareness that is created within a community and the shifts in policy towards better protection of the vulnerable.

A previous blog post talked about the unsung Khmer heroes that do pioneering work in their own communities. My colleagues, both expat and Khmer, are truly inspiring people in the way they live, work and how they deal with the challenges of either living cross-culturally or as nationals of a post conflict country. One of my Khmer colleagues, Sopharith, recently shared his thoughts on what motivates him to do the work he does. Because his story greatly inspired me, I would like to share it. It points to how long-term effects of good aid impact not only the individual but the community as well.   

Sopharith manages Chab Dai’s Doorsteps project and with his team, they work to build the capacity of local grassroots leaders. They offer training on project cycle management and grant acquisition, mentoring leaders and also training on counseling and social work skills.  Doorsteps’ work has significant impact in Cambodian communities. Sopharith shared with me that his inspiration to do the work of capacity building comes in part from his childhood experience. As thousands of other Cambodians did, he grew up in a refugee camp during the civil war that followed the collapse of Khmer Rouge. Conditions in the camp must not have been easy but Sopharith has fond memories of the aid workers who administered the aid. 

“These people worked very hard,” he said. “They also helped to build up our capacity by providing education to us. They inspired me to do the same, to help the people in my country. I love my job at Chab Dai because I too can now work to build capacity of Khmer people and see them become agents of change in their communities.”

Sopharith’s story inspires me. It shows that effective aid empowers not only independence, but a motivation and ability to empower others. Thank you Sopharith and everyone who works hard to contribute to positive, long term change.